March 23, 2011

Earth-Shattering Hope

Tenacious Hope
Though I've felt the tremors of the earth shaking and have lived through my fair share of fruitless school earthquake drills, I have never been in a devastating earthquake.
 
I have, however, lived under the threat of earthquakes much of my adult life. Some of you will know what I mean when I talk about the "Big One," which was always lurking when I lived in the Puget Sound area. This is the One that purportedly will cause Seattle to slide into the sound. I used to live in a suburb of Seattle, and many days I would drive on the freeway cloverleafs, with layers of road and cars towering over me, praying fervently that the Big One wouldn't strike that day. 
 
Thankfully, we moved to an area less densely populated, and I slowly let my fear of the Big One slide into the sound along with many other fears that ruled my life for far too long. This doesn't mean I don't get afraid sometimes. It just means that I choose not to allow myself to be governed by what could happen. And now, I don't have to worry about the Big One, since I've moved away from the Puget Sound. Of course, you will laugh when I tell you that I moved to California. Ha! I'm laughing too, but I'm still not afraid.
 
Hope Tree Installation
Here's one reason why:

Psalm 33:17-22
 "A horse is a vain hope for deliverance;
despite all its great strength it cannot save.
But the eyes of the Lord are on those who fear him,
on those whose HOPE is in his unfailing love,
to deliver them from death
and keep them alive in famine.

We wait in HOPE for the Lord;
he is our help and our shield.
In him our hearts rejoice,
for we trust in his holy name.
May your unfailing love rest upon us, O Lord.

Plant Growing in Ash
With these posts on earthquakes and HOPE, I am gently calling you to pray with me for those who are suffering in Japan and New Zealand. I am praying, not in fear, but in HOPE. I pray that the eyes of the Lord are upon the ones who have perished and those left behind; that none are truly lost. I pray that those of us who can will come to their aid in physical and monetary ways. I pray that our hearts will not be callused by ideas of judgment and justice, but rather that our hearts will be filled with mercy and compassion.

I pray that those who are coming to the aid of those in need will be richly rewarded and that those who are being helped will receive what is offered. I pray that the God of all comfort will embrace all who are mourning and that the light of life will shine upon their hearts during this dismal time. I pray for the safety of all who are in the path of radiation; particularly I pray that further disaster will be thwarted.

~Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment